Real Talk: Incorporating Archivists without Borders U.S. Chapter Pt. II

Claudia Willett?(@_cfwillett)

The Incorporation Committee (AwB U.S. – IC) met on March 12 via Google Hangout, as the committee is spread across the Eastern seaboard–Boston to North Carolina! We congregated to commence the work and operations slated for the group. What exactly is the charge of the AwB U.S. – IC, you might wonder? The Incorporation Committee is charged with examining legal and financial aspects of the U.S. Chapter of Archivists without Borders, which includes finding pro bono legal and CPA (tax) assistance to establish 501(c)(3) status. Additionally, the committee is responsible for reviewing the chapter’s founding documents to ensure the materials are compliant with legal and tax requirements of a 501(c)(3). Sounds fun, right?

I was immediately overwhelmed and it was only five minutes into the inaugural meeting. How would I contribute to the success of these mandates? I am a graduate student, not a lawyer. I am a technical services assistant, not a tax preparer. As the meeting went on, everyone casually shared their experience, connections, and areas of general interest and expertise. When the AwB U.S. – IC chair said that 501(c)(3) would likely be established in Boston at Simmons College, it became obvious how I would contribute! I may not be a lawyer or a CPA but I do work in technical services at an AmLaw 100 firm (with a special committee on pro bono services for establishing 501(c)(3)s)! Additionally, I have two cousins who are CPAs in Boston. I felt a little nervous sharing this facts because no one wants to be THAT person on their volunteer committee. I got over my fear (read: myself) and piped up: “I might be able to help here.”

Everyone in the committee seemed ecstatic, not annoyed, so that was a relief and a moment of joy. The group was off to a great start. Everyone else volunteered for the areas in which they would help from reviewing the by-laws to recording and managing meeting minutes to share with the Core Working Group. We agreed to meet again in two weeks and we went off to start on our individual work.

The next day, I sent an E-mail off to my cousins. That was easy enough. I spent awhile on the firm’s intranet trying to ascertain who I should be contacting to get the AwB – U.S. Chapter accepted as a pro bono matter. Finally, I found the two women who head up the pro bono assistance for 501(c)(3) incorporation in Massachusetts. Sending the initial E-mail was as nerve-wracking as confessing that I work at a law firm and have CPA cousins, particularly because one of the women is a partner (eek!). My inquiry was received warmly and I was encouraged to share the Pro Bono Assistance Application and the workshop packet that outlines the major requirements for incorporating a 501(c)(3) in Massachusetts with the AwB U.S. – IC. As luck would have it, the woman I spoke with mentioned a suspicion I had: one of the pro bono approval committee members is on the Board at Simmons! She encouraged me to mention Simmons on the application.

I don’t want to make morals a habit at the end of my posts, but one seems important to mention directly here, too. The moral to this post is: you never know what experiences will be useful! It was chance that brought me to the committee and coincidence that I have connections to help move the major processes for successful incorporation forward. Be open to every opportunity and every experience, both professional and personal. Next week: meeting two!

If you’re interested in getting involved with Archivists without Borders, please E-mail Joel Blanco-Rivera at [email protected].