Final weeks! I finished up the results regarding the number of discrepancies in our corpus and created some visualizations of the data using R. These graphs and charts were used on the poster that we created for the Simmons Undergraduate Research Symposium. The poster was well received and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to present our project. It was really exciting to show all that we had learned this year.
This week I met again with BJ, a professor at Simmons, to discuss my code for the remaining Tags. I had encountered a problem where the code used to find the total number of discrepancies (vs the total number of patients with discrepancies) was producing a value that did not make sense. With his help I was able to debug the program and it is now working!
This week I will continue to work on finding discrepancies in the other tags in our corpus : hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia, CAD, family history, and obesity. We also began to work on a final paper outlining the research we completed this year.
This past week, we participated in our school's Undergraduate Symposium. Simmons holds this event annually, allowing students to showcase the work they've done throughout the year. Many students present their work at panels, but for our project it made more sense to participate in the two hour poster session. It was really interesting to see what other students have been working on and I think our work was well received! We talked to a lot of professors and students, many of whom were in the health sciences. We had one of the few computer science posters, and many people we talked to were interested in the intersection of those fields.
I think there are still questions to be answered about our corpus, like how clearly medication affects future symptoms. But overall, I'm happy with the work we did and the final poster we created. It was a great experience and I'm excited to be attending and sharing our work at the Tapia conference next fall!