1. Purpose The purpose of SCoSAA is as follows:
A. To support new archivists as they prepare to enter the profession;
B. To enhance students’ education during their time at Simmons College by providing opportunities to discuss archival issues and experience professional activities;
C. To promote communication between student members and local archival and information professionals
2. Duties of Officers In accordance with SAA guidelines for the governance of student chapters, SCoSAA must have, at minimum, a chapter chief officer to act as liaison between SCoSAA and the SAA Office. SCoSAA officers will include the following positions:
The cochairs will act as Chief Officers of SCoSAA. The cochairs’ duties include, but are not limited to: coordinating events and officer meetings; approving all communications disseminated to the membership; and preparing activity reports at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters for the Assistant Dean for Administrative Student Services at Simmons College and for the SAA office.
The Treasurer is responsible for
(1) submitting budget requests as necessary to ensure that appropriate funding is secured for each fiscal year;
(2) working with individual members or SCoSAA officers who seek reimbursement for funds expended on the chapter’s behalf, as approved by the cochairs; and
(3) monitoring SCoSAA’s funds and recording all expenditures.
C. Secretary/Archivist The Secretary/Archivist is responsible for
(1) taking minutes at all SCoSAA officers’ meetings;
(2) the timely distribution of those minutes to SCoSAA officers and
the chapter membership;
(3) designing and distributing flyers for every SCoSAA event;
(4) preserving copies of all materials relevant to SCoSAA; and
(5) provide those collected materials to the Library Science Student Association (LISSA) archivist at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters. As outlined in the Society of American Archivists’ governance manual for student chapters.
D. Webmaster The Webmaster is responsible for
(1) maintaining and updating the SCoSAA website as needed;
(2) maintaining and updating SCoSAA’s social media accounts; and
(3) maintaining and updating SCoSAA’s wiki.
A. SCoSAA officers will meet at least once (1) per semester.
B. Three (3) individual officers constitutes a quorum.
A. SCoSAA will have two cochairs, sharing leadership of the group. Cochairs will be elected for oneyear terms.
B. The Treasurer, Secretary/Archivist, and Webmaster will be elected for terms no shorter than one year and no longer than two years.
C. In the event that the SCoSAA officers are unable to come to a consensus regarding events, policies, or other matters, SCoSAA’s faculty advisor will cast the deciding vote.
D. Elections for SCoSAA officers positions will be organized by LISSA and voting will be open to all School of Library and Information Science Students.
5. Amendments to the bylaws
A. These bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of current SCoSAA officers.
B. Amendments to the bylaws may be proposed by any current SCoSAA
These bylaws were first approved and enacted by a unanimous vote of the SCoSAA officers in April 2015.