Like the National Library, Yonsei was a study in technology and innovation. (Also like at the National library, I would have stayed if I could!? Luckily, we were granted temporary library cards so I spent an entire afternoon just wandering around and admiring the virtual fish pond, below).

Virtual Fish Pond

Virtual Fish Pond

What struck me the most about Yonsei was the depth and scope of planning that went into the entire project. Everything was considered; from the additional 2 floors of below-ground storage space on reserve for future materials right down to the design of the table and chairs. I was especially impressed by the fact that the work stations and all of their components were custom made both for the space and to accommodate the librarians’ and users’ needs. They even thought of putting in cell phone chargers and bars to allow students to secure their laptops should they need to walk away from their station. Well-thought-out is very much an understatement in this case.? Also similar to the National Library, there was a Global Lounge, below, which provided language-specific computers for students to use.

Global Lounge

Also interesting was the tour guide’s admission that many of the areas and technology were not being used for their intended purposes. I wonder if that really even matters, as long as the space is being used at all? She didn’t seem overly concerned, more just accepting of the fact that you can’t anticipate everything.

No more thumbtacks- Virtual Message Board

It should also be noted that aside from being beautifully designed from a usability stand point, it was a stunning structure. Technology has a tendency to render a space somewhat cold in my opinion, but they did a wonderful job at Yonsei of keeping the area warm and welcoming. The indoor flower bed and chirping crickets, not to mention the roof garden gave the entire facility a very calming, zen feeling that was really very pleasant.

Stunning Yonsei Library Roof Deck

Stunning Yonsei Library Roof Deck