The National Library of Korea This library was truly exceptional. I almost wish we had saved it for last as I suspect others (Yonsei being the exception) will likely pale in comparison.?? I can’t convey how impressed I was with the entire library.? The new digital library was incredible to say the least and the estimated $12 billion price tag almost seems like a bargain. They really thought of everything from recording studios to handicapped accessibility, it was clearly a well-planned and well-executed project.

We were lucky enough to visit on a day when the digital library is officially closed so we were able to appreciate how vast (and tidy) the space? really is- computer stations as far as the eye can see!? I would also be interested to see it on a busy day; our tour guide told us that thousands of people come in each day to use their resources.? (I wonder how often the recording studio and blue screen room are used?? And by whom?)

Also interesting was the bank of international computers, a feature also available at the Yonsei University Library.? Whether the purpose of these computers is to encourage foreign language study by Koreans or to accommodate international visitors wasn’t clear but either way it is a useful and thoughtful element of the library.

comps1

Another aspect that was common in several of the libraries visits was the need to reserve a seat.? In most cases, this was done using a large screen near the entrance.? You scanned your library card and it brought up a map of the seats from which you could select one to reserve for a certain number of hours (usually a maximum of three).? The fact that this is necessary really underscores how very “used” libraries are in Korea.? We were continuously amazed at how crowded each and every library was, at 4pm in August no less.

All in all, however, it was an excellent visit and an incredible institution. I am tempted to get a temporary library card and go back!

PS. I especially liked their “mascots”, the three colorful gentlemen below.

tellies