kids-lbMy first thought on this library is “what a wonderful place!”.? I don’t have children but I think I would enjoy spending time there myself.

As with the other two libraries, I’m again noticing the amount of planning that goes into every detail (it’s really starting to become a theme). I adored the system they had for children to keep track of the books they’ve read using savings-bank-like passbooks.? (Once they return a book, they place the passbook in a very cute, child-size machine which stamps it with the title of the book).? It’s interactive, it feels “adult” which I think kids really enjoy and it likely gives them a sense of accomplishment by being able to see all the books they’ve read.

Child-Size Self-Checkout Stand

Child-Size Self-Checkout Stand

And the maps and comic books!? Biannually, the library creates reading guides in the form of maps and comic books (with illustrations done by high school students), containing summaries and reviews from other students.? They were incredible.? So clever and beautifully done.? I can really see how that would make reading seem appealing to young adults. For a country that is only in the beginning stages of developing its children’s librarian program, they have done a superb job in all aspects of this library’s design and implementation.

I also liked the emphasis they put on foreign language study and the appreciate the amount of money they must have put toward developing their international collections. I’m a firm believer in learning new languages young and this would be an excellent place to start.

“Uncle Sam’s Reading Club” was a fantastic room (I could have stayed all day re-reading my childhood favorites!).

uncle-sam

Finally, the director was truly a lovely person. She clearly loves what she does and people like that have such a positive impact on their institution.