This post is from Thana, an Iraqi colleague who has shared in several training programs run by Simmons. She is currently in Chennai (formerly called Madras), India on a six-week training program. She writes:

Today is November 6th and it is my birthday. Usually I do not celebrate this day, but I did love to share with my new friends from many countries this day. Being in India is a big chance for me; I love traveling and learning about other countries and cultures.

For that, everything was ready to do a small celebration in Chennai. I bought my Sari and my Iraqi friend Anaam bought me a cake as gift for my birthday. We spent a wonderful time with the training group. In addition, Dr Ravi. and his family come to share with us this celebration. All of them were really wonderful, and we heard Arabic songs, and had Indian with dancing with each one of the group showing us his country dancing. All of them was really wonderful and nice, and I want to say THANK U for everybody for sharing me this time, and thanks for gifts, but truly meeting them is my gift.

Friday morning November 7th we had a tour of the British Council Library. It is a public library, and there are 9 branches for it in India. Collections are focused on UK and promote British ideas. The collection contains books, music CDs, DVDs, and Journals. There is no local cataloging because the books come from UK ready for shelving using DDC classification. Sure it is an automated library where computers are available. Only the children’s collection is classified according to age. The main goal of this library is to satisfy users needs and to provide services in all of the 9 regions. The member types are: Organizations (like NITTTR); College students; School students; NGOs members; and Individuals. Many services are available ?like reservations, inter library loan facilities, and on borrowing books. There is also a staff ready for helping.

Also, there is a program for marketing workshops – like workshops on interview skills, etc.

As a librarian I found this library a model in furnishings & architecture. While it is a small library, it is a good place to read in that most libraries are closed with walls, but here you can find the sunlight give you more comfort.

So if you want to read, visit the BCL. If you want to study, visit the Central Library at Indian Institute of Technology Madras.

The last thing that I didn?t like – we were not allow to use cameras, and for that I have only 1 picture outside the building?enjoy it.

Thana

FILE0249.JPG

IMG_1337.jpg

FILE0263.JPG

FILE0354.JPG