Posted on behalf of Dean Michele Cloonan

Tuesday and Wednesday, March 11th and 12th: Can Do in Can Tho

We spent these two days evaluating the curriculum for this undergraduate program. This program is the first step towards modernizing LIS curriculum in Vietnam. The courses were mostly developed by faculty in Singapore and in New Zealand, but one of the organization courses was designed by our own Candy Schwartz.

I should say a few words about learning resource centers. Atlantic Philanthropies has funded several of these in Vietnam. The two I saw are part of the universities at Hue and Can Tho. They are new buildings with new collections and many computers for the students. One interesting feature: the computer terminals are long and rounded, but never circular. I asked about these arced designs. If students want to work together in close proximity, they sit inside the arc; for more privacy they sit on the other side.

Many of our alumni work in these beautiful new centers and their pride is visible. For a country that is still as poor as Vietnam is, these learning resource centers are very important. And they are used heavily.

Bob and I left for Ho Chi Minh City late Wednesday afternoon. I tried to take in every market, every river, and every other scene that I could. Tomorrow morning I begin my journey back to Boston via a circuitous route: HCMC to Hong Kong, Honk Kong to Aukland, New Zealand, Aukland to LA and LA to Boston. In Aukland I will visit a library and the Maori museum. I will write my final entry from the ?Land of the Long White Cloud??the Maori word for New Zealand?tomorrow.