A quick introduction: My name is Lydia Pittman (GSLIS ’97) and I’m the Head of Tech Services at Lasell, a small college in Newton, MA. I’m here in San Juan Del Sur for the first time, getting acquainted and solidifying plans to bring a student volunteer group back here, hopefully in March ’08. My friend and colleague Stephanie came along for the adventure, and so far we are delighted by the hospitality and friendliness of everyone we’ve encountered.

Today was my first Biblioteca Movil experience, and I’m amazed by what a well-oiled machine these folks are running! The young students at the schools also impressed me, as they were so well behaved and polite. Vicente, Heidi, and the other Bibloteca employees efficiently bring out the boxes of books and the portable circulation system, and children at each school line up to return books and select others, making their selections very carefully and then patiently waiting in line.

I loved watching the children peruse the book bins, taking quite a while to examine all of the choices before picking that one special book. Clifford the big red dog, by the way, is a huge hit.